Thursday, April 14, 2011

E is for England

I say England but I really mean NOT Ireland, Scotland or Wales. Since becoming almost Canadian I still find it difficult to understand this concept of "Britain". I actually cringe when people talk about having been to "Britain" - it usually means they went to London and not for long either.

No body would ever say they were from "Britain" but rather they were English, Irish, Welsh or wait for it...Scottish - that's not Scotch which is a drink.

Now I hail from an odd place - for those of you who know me there would be no eyebrows raised. no questioning furrows of the forehead or quizzical glances. No - rather a nod of the head and an understanding "aha". In other words - no surprise whatsoever. I digress. Hailing from Scouseland one's lineage is a tad distorted. There is the Irish and the Welsh who somehow came together in one place and created a culture, an accent and a heritage that is distinct and different from anywhere else in that place called England.

No comments:

Post a Comment