Friday, June 10, 2011

ISTANBUL - 5 MILLION PEOPLE

I arrived in Istanbul feeling quite excited - I felt I was going to a really magical place - at least in my dreams of the past - dare I say it almost 60 years.

Nice landing, fast baggage pick up and the fastest visa acquisition in my history - especially compared to the rabble attack in Kathmandhu. Fastest 15 Euros I ever spent too. All is good and head for the exit - ATM works and dispenses a reasonable amount of Turkish Lira to me. Turkey is not in the Common Market and is doing quite well compared to places like Greece and Spain.

No one in line for information either - this is a new feeling at an airport where I usually have a bit of trouble finding information. Find the tram in the subway armed with my change of stop direction. There are these orange plastic circles called Jetons that one acquires from machines for the sum of 1.75 Lira. It took two Jetons to get to Sultanhamet which is the old area of Istanbul and where I am staying.

I was immediately aware that the Blue Mosque was readily in view throughout most of Sultanhamet so all the hotels claiming to have a view really couldn't help it. It was 29 degrees and I dragged my suitcase downhilee and headed for the area pointed out as where all the accommodation resided. I finally found my hotel and was told a mistake had been made and I was given a room in another hotel just a few seconds away. It was a dark brown room with no view and though there was a TV the WIFI only worked on my iPhone. I wont go into the hotel fiasco but only so many things work in each room. I now have a nice view but air con barely works and I had to fix the tv myself.

The novelty has worn off a tad but I am certainly in another world. I met a couple at breakfast from this town called Nanaimo...yes...and they were quite helpful in deciding what to do. I did something I have never done before and signed up on a tour today and tomorrow. It is big and overwhelming here and I will get to see all the famous sites and have entrance paid with the tour so I have done that. Todau I did the Bospherous cruise which is the stretch of water sperating europe from Asia as far as Turkey goes. It was pleaant and I got to see a lot of the mosques and buildings. Our guide was very well informed and I got a little sense of what Istanbul looks like.

Tomorrow I will do the full day tour and that gives me 2 days to noodle around on my own and then off to Amsterdam for a few days. I will post a few pics on Crackbook.

No comments:

Post a Comment